I think that this is one of the most stressful times in the life of a mom! From the time they were 3 we wondered how well our kids would do in school. We try to stay on top of homework and test scores but especially as the kids get older we just have to trust that things will work out. I have noticed that the older our kids get the less they want to tell us about how school is going. I have already found one scan tron test folded up in the bottom of a backpack and I wonder how many more there are. For some reason even though I see the progress reports and ParentLink I still have anxiety over what their report card will look like.
I think for me it is not just the concern over grades and whether or not we will qualify for Magnet middle school but also the dreaded comments section. You have some teachers that just write the basic "he/she is a pleasure to have in class" or the teachers that have nothing totally positive "he/she is a pleasure to have in class BUT we really need to work on not cleaning glasses in the middle of a lesson" and then the teachers that actually have something valuable to say "here are his/her scores. They have improved by __. I am so proud of him/her....." we are so lucky that this year we have two WONDERFUL teachers that really care about our kids! They really want them to succeed and they understand how important success is to our kids.
I have heard it time and time again that as long as you are involved and care they will succeed. Everyone knows that I am more involved then most and care more than my kids will ever know. I know that they behave WAAAAAY better in class then they do at home, yet I can't help but worry. Maybe it is the fear of the unknown. Maybe it is the fact that I love my kids to no end and want nothing but the best for them! Maybe it is that I feel judged based on their performance. I don't know. What I do know is that when they walk out of class with their report card in hand and they know that they succeeded it is the most rewarding moment. I absolutely adore the way that they look when they hand them to me. When they are so proud of THEIR accomplishments and they know that they have gone beyond expectations they just carry themselves differently. It is the most incredible thing to see! The confidence they gain and the way that they feel is enough to make any mom feel as though all the stress is worth it.
I am sure that with time this will get easier. I know that at some point I won't stress out (as bad), but until then I have another 10 weeks without stress. :)
PS: In case you were wondering they both received straight A's, all "Excellent" in behavior, perfect attendance, and AWESOME comments!! Luke improved three of his grades from last trimester DRAMATICALLY and Sami maintained 100% in 2 subjects!! I am so proud of them and all that they do! Rock on Luke and Sam!!
Sweetie,
ReplyDeleteLighten up or you're going to really stress out when they start driving and dating!! They are great kids and will do just great! Love the picture from Tanaka farms; we need to go again!
AC